Community Profile: Greer, SC
Greer, South Carolina, is centrally located along the I-85 corridor between Greenville and Spartanburg. It’s within a three-hour drive of Atlanta, Ga.; Charlotte, N.C.; and Columbia, S.C. and offers easy accessibility to both the mountains and coast.
But Greer’s location is not all the city has going for it. Find out why more and more families are choosing to settle down in Greer, SC.
Originally, the land that is now the City of Greer was hunting ground for local Cherokees and later a settlement for pioneering families in the 1700s. In 1873, the Richmond and Danville Air Line Railway (now the Norfolk Southern Railway) established a line between Atlanta and Charlotte. A station was built on land that belonged to James Manning Greer and was named Greer’s Station.
When the town was incorporated in 1876, it was named Town of Greer’s. One hundred years later, the name was officially changed to the City of Greer, without an “s” on the end.
Greer by the Numbers
Population (2013): 27,167
Population change since 2000: +61.3%
Median resident age: 33.9 years
Estimated median household income (2012): $40,385
Estimated per capita income (2012): $23,575
Estimated median house/condo value (2012): $142,892
5 Reasons Why We Love It
1. Family friendly: Greer offers a variety of attractions for young families, including sports programs, downtown festivals, concerts, holiday gatherings, children’s theatre, arts classes, 16 recreational parks and facilities, and summer camps.
2. School system: Public schools in Greer are part of the Greenville County School District. The city’s elementary schools include Buena Vista, Chandler Creek, Crestview, Skyland and Woodland. The middle and high schools are Blue Ridge, Greer and Riverside. Additionally, Greenville Technical College has a Greer Campus that offers core programs in visual and performing arts, physical therapy, occupational therapy, health information management and personal training.
3. Parks and recreation: Greer’s Parks and Recreation Department has been recognized as one of the leading agencies in the state. It offers 113,000 square feet of indoor recreation space and 140 acres of outdoor park space. In addition to youth and adult sports, it runs afterschool programs, summer camps, activities for senior citizens and more. Visit their website to learn more. (LINK TO http://www.cityofgreer.org/departments/parks_and_recreation.php)
4. Infrastructure: The city maintains 80 miles of road, 30 miles of storm drainage, and approximately 35 miles of sidewalks throughout the city.
5. Business community: It is said that it’s “easy to do business” in Greer, SC. The city has attracted a world-class business community that features companies like BMW, Mitsubishi, and Michelin—making it one of the fastest growth markets in the metropolitan area.
To learn more about Greer, SC and homes available in the area, don’t hesitate to contact me. I’d be happy to show you around.
*Sources: http://www.cityofgreer.org/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greer,_South_Carolina, http://www.city-data.com/city/Greer-South-Carolina.html, http://www.greerdevelopment.com/