Did you know?
Have you ever played trivia? I’m terrible at it. But I’m always amazed at the many fun facts other people know. So in that spirit, here are some things you may not know about Greenville, South Carolina…
- Greenville County was part of the Cherokee Nation’s protected lands until 1776.
- In the early 1900s, Greenville was known as the “Textile Center of the World.”
- Greenville served as a training camp center for Army recruits during World War I.
- Albert Einstein’s son, Hans Albert Einstein, worked for Clemson University and lived in the North Main area for about five years beginning in the 1930s.
- Donaldson Center Airport (the downtown Greenville airport) served as a military base after World War II until the early 1960s.
- A Greenville native, Maj. Rudolf Anderson, was the only casualty during the Cuban Missile Crisis. An Air Force pilot, he was killed when his U-2 plane was shot down by the Cuban military. His death is widly credited as giving pause to President Kennedy and Russian Premier Nikita Khrushchev as they weighed possible nuclear war. The plane in Cleveland Park is in his memory.
- Greenville’s average annual temperature is 60 degrees. But the city still averages 5 inches of snow each winter.
- In 1977, the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd performed at the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium. After the show, the band and crew took off from the Greenville Downtown Airport, but the plan crashed and killed six people including lead vocalist Ronnie Van Zant and guitarist and singer Steve Gaines.
- The highest percentage of workers in Greenville are employed in manufacturing. (21 percent)
So now, if you ever find yourself in a trivia game about Greenville, South Carolina, you’ll be prepared. You can thank me later.
Sources: https://www.wyff4.com/article/25-facts-about-greenville-that-might-surprise-you/6966674; https://discoversouthcarolina.com/articles/10-things-you-might-not-know-about-greenville-sc; https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2018/07/11/7-things-you-might-not-know-greenville/714082002/